Hehe....I was singing in my bedroom today which has a chest level window that is abou 6 feet tall and four feet wide. Anyway, it is the best sources of light and really a room changer but I often am self-conscious of people being able to see me outside. Anyway, today I was singing when a relatively young lady walked by,....I am assuming heard me...and made eye-contact/smiled/laughed at me. There did not appear to be any mallice in it and she attempted to point me out to an older lady and child who were with me but they didn't really look in.
So....I smiled back...haha, and never paused in my singing.
I read Venus and Adonis by Shakespeare today. It is 1194 lines long and is probably the longest poem I have ever read in one sitting (though I did pause for dinner) and wow...reading Shakespeare with an adult mind really is wonderful. I had been wanting to revisit Shakespeare, who I had not read in any large quantity since highschool and am blessed to have a copy of his complete works in the room I am subletting. I really do love poetry, so I should definitely delve more into him. I finished Song of myself and have been enjoying a bi-lingual anthology of German poets Miriam gave me, but Shakespeare seems like a bastion who I really should familiarize myself with.
Singing is going decently I guess. I have really been enjoying The Four Voices of Man by Jerome Hines and am starting to become more more aware of the registration occurences (and more importantly finding/attempting to find ways to blend them.
Oh yeah, I got myself a copy of A Brief History of Everything by Ken Wilber and have really been enjoying it. I have had trouble as of late reading on airplanes but this last bout of travel I manage 65 pages of the book as well as nearly 4 movies (one of which was a very interesting German film calle Nordwand about early climbers in the Alps). Louise had suggested A Brief History to me during some rehearsal in Raitt in the last two years and I am really enjoying the perspectives and intellectual processes Mr. Wilber explores. So far, he has been summarizing expanding on many of the ideas that I have tossed around my head the last several years and am really enjoying it.
Tomorrow I travel to Berlin for a week long conference with Fulbright. I am really looking forward to seeing my Marburg buddies again and am finally excited for a bit of tourism. I think that once the weather improves as well, I will begin to travel far more in Baden-Württemberg. It is not terribly appealing at this point to travel an hour or more by train to seek refuge from the rain in a cafe in another city.
Even the German's are saying this rain is going on unusually long. I think everyone is hungry for spring. I saw some tulips starting to sprout in the grass in an intersection! A taste of things to come :-)
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment