Sunday, October 26, 2008

post a week after written


pretty ood...tired...but god
and so it goes when your keyboard is not terribly sensitive.
Today begins yet another new chapter in my Deutschland experience. Today after three weeks of living with a guest family and riding an hour by streetcar to school each way, I finally move into my WG! (apartment in Mannheim, only 10 minutes by bicycle from the school) And may I say that cruising through a completely flat city at 10:30 at night on the way to a party is a pretty awesome time. In fact it was better than the party itself, though i finally was able to salsa dance a little without being entirely self-conscious.
In spite of the inconvenience, the homestay has been a good experience. It is funny, as I have been in Germany, I have eaten more Mcdonalds and heard more American pop music than I did in probably 22 years of life in America. Anyway, it has been interesting living in Fußgönheim (as the sound of the ever relaxing voice of the street car pronounces the name beautifully in my head with a slight emphasis on the Füß). The town is surrounded by agriculture and it is not uncommon to get stuck behind a tractor on the main street where my family lives. They are right across from the church and ever 1/4 of an hour the bells chime, along with a furious display at various important hours throughout the day. Benjy, my families dog, never fails to howl in misery.
This picture is from Speyer, a town near Fußgönheim.

No comments: