Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Please click on the picture...


Last week was an interesting one. In some ways awful. in other ways pretty good.

I attended a week long masterclass in Northern Germany in a little town called Osnabrück. It may seem a little odd since the masterclass was with Herr Piernay, but seeing as it is the only time I had or will have had lessons with him this month, it was a bit necessary. It was also the first time I got to see him work with other students and that was certainly an invaluable experience at this point. Unfortunately, my lack of German skills allowed me to not realize the course was twice as expensive as I thought (an experience shared by my Korean friend...a goofy girl with the most beautiful high A I have ever heard and surprising communicative abilities).

I learned a lot this last week. I have a much clearer picture of what to practice and how to practice as well as a good idea of where my voice is sitting at the moment. Now that my tongue is getting out of the way, I am discovering what natural darkness I have and thinking bass-baritone.

I also got a good sense of how Professor Piernay teaches. I guess it is understandable that a teacher who remains a valuable resource for some of the most successful singers around would always have some criticism to say, especially with intermediate level singers. It is a very different approach to teaching that I am used to. While not the greatest for ones self esteem, it definitely also has its values. In a surprising number of instances, he does not offer advice. Rather, Piernay asks in a sometimes mocking tone why one simply does not sing an interval cleanly, in tune, in tempo, or with the proper technique. What is also surprising is that the results are usually quite good (after an attempt or two). With Piernay, you come to a lesson to learn what can be improved or what is wrong. He tells you in a usually very efficient though often painfully direct manner. The benefit of this, aside from the obviously learning involved, is that one must separate their identity from their voice.

I have definitely discovered this year that music cannot be what makes me happy. I had a hunch about that last year and started to delve into poetry for my artistic enjoyment and maintain that this is a good idea. I will always love music, but my happiness cannot be tied to it (and especially not my success).

The course was set in a house in Osnabrück, a beautifully gray and uninspiring town with a lovely steel factory. Fortunately there was a very pretty little nature park near the house that I spent most of our breaks in. Nonetheless, I started to go a little crazy. The close quarters of the house (my room was also a smallish attic with a sunroof through which the full moon prevented me from sleeping well) mixed with the stress of hours of masterclass with Piernay made it a lond week.

The train ride home was a disaster as well. My train ride was supposed to be 5 1/2 hours. An hour delayed by the time I got on. Then, and hour from home, it hit some sort of animal. After 3 hours of sitting in the middle of nowhere, we finally rolled to the next station. 1/2 of more repairs later, we were finally on our way again. However, for some reason with the schedule all messed up, the train did not stop in Mannheim. In stead, it rolled straight through to Heidelberg. I then had to catch a train back to Mannheim (fortunately only a 10 minute ride with the ICE). Anyway, it was 2:30 in the morning by that time so there was only one Streetcar per hour, which I had just missed, so I walked/jogged the half hour home. I was definitely glad that I had packed only a backpack for the week.

Arriving home at 3:00 am I did have some consolation, as Miriam and I spoke for 2 hours...ending the day at 5:00 am.

This picture is from an abandoned hotel in Heidelberg that I explored last time I was here and revisited with some friends a few weeks ago. 2 years ago, you ha to climb onto the roof and out to a window to get in. Now, all the doors are open. It has obviously been inhabited by squatters as last time I was there there were mattresses and cloths drying on a line. There is also a lot of spray painting saying things about squatting, you can't stop us, and this one I photographed. It's duality seemed good for a week filled with good discoveries and learning and some great new friends, and also one of the most frustrating, expensive, and emotionally challenging weeks I have had yet.

On a happier note. My brother won Met Western Regionals! I couldn't be happier for him :-)

I have an audition at the Guilhall Dec 10th and I am not looking forward to it. I did not get the Marshall Scholarship so unless money falls in my lap, it is kind of pointless. Who knows. Maybe some good will come of it. Nice thing is I will get to see some friends in London and maybe a backstage tour the ROH! That and Tales of Hoffman. Yummy...there is a good bass-baritone role in that...

No comments: