Sunday, December 14, 2008

I found five Euros today!....Should have dropped in the church mailbox like I was tempted to do.




Why is it that I so often hesitate when I have impulses to do something good when it involves money...must be security...curious...

Things are going a bit better. I was surprised by how many responses I got to my last post, I guess I didn't reallize how down it sounded. I went to London for 3 days and had a great time. My audition went pretty poorly, I didn't crack or forget any words, but my voice suddenly stopped turning over correctly so anything above a D pretty much was swallowed and a little flat. Running stuff beforehand with the accompanist however (which I did too much of and tired myself out with) went really well.

I had an interesting moment on the Underground Friday. We had played a game in Szenische etuden where we paired up and had to look at our partner intently for about 3 minutes, imagining what their face felt like. Then, one of the pair closed their eyes and the other walked somewhere in the room. The partner whos eyes were closed then had to seek out their partner only feeling faces to see if the people they bumped into were their partner. One of the goals was to make people notice their barriers and such, but another was to really look at people. When you really look at someone, almost without fail you reallize how beautiful they are. Not sexy in a movie/magazine beautiful, but truly beautiful as a miracle of creation. Anyway, riding the Underground Friday night, I caught a glimpse of that any in the strangers riding the tube with me.
"Welcome is every organ and attribute of me, and of any man hearty and clean,
Not an inch nor a paricle of an inch is vile, and none shall be less than the rest."
-Whitman Song of Myself

After reading this section, I literally stopped the next time I showered and thought "darn...I am beautiful" (Such Vanity!)

80's Music, Jazz, and James Brown rarely fail to make me jolly.

I can finally do a brittish accent that doesn't turn into Scottish again.
One of the other big adventures of my trip to London was a BACKSTAGE TOUR of the ROYAL OPERA HOUSE! Really, it was rather unextraordinary. It was a big nice theatre with some amzing singers backstage. However the view from the stage was something else I must say. Ultimately, this has been a good trip for unmystifying places like the Met and famous singers. They are all real people with real passions and fears. Anyone who pretends to be something else isn't worth worrying about.
Hearing Katie was great too. She is still sounding amazing and was a real contrast in the 3rd act to the earlier ladies. The show was Tales of Hoffman with Rollando Villazon. He was actually in tune almost the entire time! Supposedly they were making a recording and everyone was a bit more conscious than usual. All in all it was an awesome show. Gidon Saks, who sang the villians was monstrous, definitely enjoyed him. Not sure how healthy his singing was but it sounded great.

Katie and I had a good time together. It worked out perfectly. The people she has been staying with left on Holliday a few days before I got there so I was able to stay with her! Saved so much money! It is amazing how nice it is to talk to another American when you are living on your own in Europe. Things you normally despise like Starbucks and McDonalds seem somehow like sinful pleasures when you have them with another American in Europe...haha. That was the fourth time I have eaten Mcdonalds since I have been here (far more than all together in the US) I did have it once in Mexico as well though. Still, I have never suggested it..haha. Movies like Rocky and Rambo are also frighteningly entertaining.

All in all I made it to London for 3 1/2 days and back for under $200. To accomplish that I did have to travel by streetcar, Regional train, Bus, Taxi, airplain, and shuttlebus. (thank you Semester Ticket!).

Regina and Freya left for Prague today so I have the Apartment mostly to myself. Iris, my other roommate, lives in a room through the common hallway and isn't around much, so it should be pretty quiet the next few days.
Can't wait to go home for Christmas, I have literally been getting butterflies and occasional chills thinking about seeing Miriam again. I just wish this week were over.
And most importantly....I hope the Lakers win christmas day...My holliday season depends upon it!

No comments: