Monday, February 16, 2009

Gefeiern!


I took a big step last Thursday. Unfortunately that coupled with some snow and physical activity resulted in my being sick again. There was an end of the semester party at the Hochschule and while my roomy and I were supposed to go together, she never came home. Anyway as 10:00 finally rolled around I headed out and went to the party on my own. I think that was the first time I went to a social outing with mostly Germans alone. Honestly, I did a lot better there on my own. Granted there were also several people I already knew from classes, but through them I met a couple new people and really socialized, rather than followed my roommate around. A big part of this is that my german is finally really getting decent and on top of that I have been here long enough that people are starting to open up, as german's so notoriously take a while to do.

Anyway, it is great to really start to branch out on my own. It is funny, with voice lessons and my social life here, I am really finally starting to feel proud of myself. I have truly been challenged here and am finally succeeded. Pepperdine was quite comfortable my last 3 years and I flourished and was able to enjoy myself quite a bit, but really been tested and pushed past my boundaries has caused me to really feel I have accomplished something here. Kinda sappy, but is true.

1 comment:

no said...

good for you! it's awesome that you went to the party by yourself. becoming confident and comfortable in a foreign country is definitely something to be proud of!