Sunday, August 17, 2008

an embarassing moment feels like home


Today we went on a tour of a little mountaintop called Christenberg. It was an old celtic site/ millitary post/ church and we had a lovely BBQ with Wurst and Steak. We through the forest and saw the old fortifications and ended our tour in the Church there. A modest little chapel with the usual cavernous acoustics. Halfway through the tourguide's talk, he made some joke in broken English and a few of us Chuckled. I unfortunately let out a small bellow and the entire group of 40 Fulbrighters and our liason with the university turned to look at me and giggle. Strangely, it felt very much like home.

German class is going well. It is difficult but I was actually told by a german sales representative that I spoke good German! Of course they were trying to sell me something. Nonetheless, I have set out to read Prince Caspian in German and am so far very capable of following the plot, the needless to say many of the words are foreign to me. What an incredible group to travel with, though I really can't wait to get to Mannheim and be completely immersed.

No comments: