Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Grimm Experience and some sacreligious sarcasm

Two nights ago, I set out on a jog in the woods around 8:00. One thing led to another and I found myself in the forest, in the dark without a flashlight. Fortunately I have a respectable memory for trails and was able to find my way out to the highway and back to the dorms but nonetheless it was a truly unsettling experience. For anyone who may not know, the Grimm brothers both study law in Marburg and wrote many of their stories here in a tea room we actually visited on a tour.
Having been alone in the woods in Marburg at dusk, I got a taste of the inspiration behind the Grimm brother's tales. If ever I believed in woodland nymphs and spirits, it was in these woods. I am not sure why, but there is something mysterious and erie about them, and also very beautiful.
The tombstones above are from the graveyard in Christenberg. I hope the second does not offend anyone, though thankfully, I was not the only Fulbrighter who found these to be funny.

No comments: